AFC Rushden & Diamonds U18 1 Wellingborough Whitworth U18 2

AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1-2 Wellingborough Whitworth

 Northants Senior Youth League

A late goal denied AFC Rushden & Diamonds a deserved share of the spoils against early league pace-setters Wellingborough Whitworth, in an entertaining, competitive game at the Dog & Duck.

The visitors, who had inherited Daventry Town’s management and playing staff over the close season, started strongly and almost opened the scoring early on, when a deflected shot from the edge of the box was just kept out by a brilliant save from Connor Brown.

Rushden responded well to the early pressure, and Omar Ghavami went close on 14 minutes, but saw his goalbound shot well blocked by Will Chiltern.

Whitworth took the lead on 20 minutes though, as a long ball from the back caught out the Rushden defence allowing Taylor Orosz to run clear and lob the ball over Brown from just inside the box.

Ryan Archer then headed wide from a corner, before a powerful Kyle Walter shot was well held by Brown.

Orosz then forced another save from Brown, but as half time approached the Diamonds managed to snatch an equaliser. Ghavami latched onto a defensive error, crossing low to Matty Smith, and although he completed mis-kicked his attempted volley, Matty Foster was on hand to fire home with a good strike from 15 yards.

HT: AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1-1 Wellingborough Whitworth

The second half saw the welcome return of Jake Reynolds, after a lengthy injury lay off, and he almost made in immediate impact, with a vicious 25 yard strike that cannoned back off the crossbar. Smith then fired over from a tight angle as the Diamonds started the second period strongly.

Whitworth came back into the game again after their slow start after the break, and went close through a Nathan Bobowicz header, before Orosz tested Brown again with a 25 yard free kick.

As the game went on the Diamonds looked the more likely side to score again though, and frustration set in amongst the visitors with 3 players booked in 14 minutes; with Orosz perhaps a little fortunate to stay on the pitch after raising his hands to Noah Bryant.

With 10 minutes to go Reynolds glanced wide from a Savvas Hamp free kick, before Joe Holmes forced a good save from Sachin Tayal with a shot from 25 yards.

But a minute into injury time, a ball from midfield caught the Rushden defence napping, and Orosz was on hand to race clear and calmly tuck the ball past Brown.

FT: AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1-2 Wellingborough Whitworth

The Diamonds U18s are back in FA Youth Cup action on Monday night, as Stotfold FC visit the Dog & Duck for a 7:45pm kick off.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds U18

Wellingborough Whitworth

17. Connor Brown
2. Tommy Messinger
3. Ryan Bhatti
4. Noah Bryant
5. Ben Roche
6. Ryan Chamberlain
7. Joe Holmes
8. Matty Foster
9. Matty Smith
10. Savvas Hamp
11. Omar Ghavami

1. Sachin Tayal
2. Will Chiltern
3. Charlie Archer
4. Brandon Smith
5. George Boot
6. Nathan Bobowicz (c)
7. Shane Lyons
8. Ryan Archer
9. Taylor Orosz
10. Kyle Walter
11. Oosman Njie

12. Jake Reynolds (for Bhatty, 46 mins)
16. Harry Matthews (for Smith, 72 mins)
18. Alex Peters (for Holmes, 72 mins)

12. Matthew Hibbard
14. Collins Boachie
15. Dan Byard
16. Ben Deegan
17. Caleb Bentley

Foster (43 mins)

Orosz (20 mins)
Orosz (90+1 mins)


Walter (63 mins)
R. Archer (67 mins)
Orosz (77 mins)
Njie (86 mins)