AFC Rushden & Diamonds U18 6 Cogenhoe Utd U18 1

AFC Rushden & Diamonds 6-1 Cogenhoe United

Northants Senior Youth League

AFC Rushden & Diamonds recorded an emphatic victory over Cogenhoe United to extend their lead at the summit of the NSYL Western Division table to 10 points. After a slow start to the season the Diamonds have now won 7 consecutive league games, scoring an incredible 28 goals in the process.

The game was barely a minute old before the hosts opened the scoring. Jake Reynolds showed good pace and strength to reach a long ball ahead of his marker, and his well struck shot from the right hand side of the penalty area drew a good save from former Diamond Ben Clarke, but Zach Farden was on hand to tap in the rebound from close range.

Rushden continued to press, and Farden tried his luck again on 6 minutes with a shot from distance, but could only shoot high and wide.

Cogenhoe had a great chance to equalise on 13 minutes when Silva Obeng raced onto a long ball that caught out the Rushden defence, but under pressure from ‘keeper Alex Vitue, he lobbed the ball inches wide of the post. The Diamonds made their opponents pay for the missed opportunity just 2 minutes later. Ben Roche set off on a good run down the left flank, before playing the ball forward to Matt Smith. Smith burst past his marker before squaring the ball to Reynolds on the edge of the box, and Rushden’s leading scorer side stepped a defender before smashing the ball home via the underside of the crossbar.

The hosts were dealt a blow shortly after when Farden picked up a knock and had to be replaced. In Blake Helsdown, however, the Diamonds couldn’t have had a better replacement, and on 29 minutes it was the substitute who made it 3-0. The outstanding Reynolds was involved again, playing a defence splitting pass for Helsdown to race onto, using his blistering pace to take him away from the visiting defence, before calmly stroking the ball past Clarke and into the bottom corner.

The fourth goal arrived just a few minutes later, as Conor Bell broke down the left flank before squaring to Reynolds, who turned his man and curled the ball into the bottom corner for his tenth goal of the season. And it should have been 5-0 within another two minutes as a Helsdown cross looped over Clarke and hit the bar, but Zak Moon delayed his shot for too long, allowing a visiting defender to get back and clear the danger. Reynolds then picked out Helsdown a minute later, but the winger sliced a good chance wide of the post.

The visitors had a rare chance to pull a goal back on 44 minutes, as Alex Vitue scuffed an attempted clearance straight to Elliot Roberts, but the striker’s shot from 35 yards flew just wide of the post. Immediately from the goal kick, the ball was played up field to Reynolds who stormed down the right wing before hitting a dangerous cross which wasn’t dealt with by the Cogenhoe defence, but Bell couldn’t quite find the target with his shot from 12 yards.

HT: AFC Rushden & Diamonds 4-0 Cogenhoe United

The visitors came out with a renewed vigour after the break, closing down the Rushden players much better than they had in the first half. This pressure led to a great chance on 48 minutes as Obeng raced onto a through ball, taking it around Vitue before squaring to Dan Wilkin who blazed over the bar from 6 yards out.

Reynolds had a great chance to net his third goal of the game on 59 minutes when Noah Bryant picked him out with a great through ball, but his attempted lob from 25 yards sailed over the bar. Two long range efforts for the visitors failed to trouble Vitue, before Reynolds had another good chance for his hat-trick goal when a Liam Bond cross was deflected perfectly onto his head, but he put his header just wide of the upright.

The fifth goal arrived on 76 minutes, and although Reynolds wasn’t the scorer he once again played a prominent part in the build up. Roche set off on a storming run down the left before pulling the ball back to Bell. His cross found Reynolds whose shot was well saved by Clarke, but the ball fell kindly to Smith who slotted home from 10 yards.

Substitute Dan Bevis went close to a sixth goal on 81 minutes with a 25 yard shot which was deflected just wide, before Wilkin fired in a free kick from similar distance for the visitors, but his effort was well held by Vitue.

The Diamonds’ sixth goal, and Reynolds third, arrived on 86 minutes. Bell broke clear down the left flank, cutting inside before firing in a shot from a narrow angle, but although Clarke kept out his effort the ball fell kindly for Reynolds who couldn’t miss from close range.

Much to Mark Walsh’s disappointment, the visitors pulled back a consolation goal as the game entered injury time. The ball was played into Luke Emery on the edge of the Rushden penalty area, and the striker turned well before hitting a shot which went in off Vitue’s right hand post.

FT: AFC Rushden & Diamonds 6-1 Cogenhoe United

Attendance: 63

Man of the Match: Jake Reynolds


AFC Rushden & Diamonds

Cogenhoe United

24. Alex Vitue
2. Ben Roche
5. Adam Ziolkowski
6. Alex McDonald
18. Liam Bond
4. Noah Bryant
7. Zak Moon (c)
8. Conor Bell
9. Matt Smith
10. Jake Reynolds
11. Zach Farden

1. Ben Clarke
2. Harry Osbourne
3. Jordan Wallace
4. Jack Archer
5. Sanchez Meeks
6. David Day
7. Dan Wilkin
8. Jake Caton (c)
9. Luke Emery
10. Elliot Roberts
16. Silva Obeng

12. Blake Helsdown (for Farden, 18 mins)
14. Luke Fathers (for Ziolkowski, 56 mins)
17. Dan Bevis (for Moon, 46 mins)

12. Tomas Doran (for Day, 10 mins)
13. Sam Darney
14. Walter Ebelubu (for Archer, 78 mins)
15. Harry Wildman (for Wallace, 78 mins)

Farden (1 min)
Reynolds (15 mins)
Helsdown (29 mins)
Reynolds (33 mins)
Smith (76 mins)
Reynolds (86 mins)

Emery (90 mins)

Reynolds (60 mins, foul)
McDonalds (85 mins, foul)

Caton (41 mins, foul)
Wallace (72 mins, foul)

Sent Off:

Sent Off:


Images courtesy of Mal Swinden ©2012 Malcolm Swinden Photography

Click on an image to use picture viewer