Marlow 2 AFC Rushden & Diamonds 4

AFC Rushden & Diamonds climbed up to fifth in the league thanks to a 4-2 win at Marlow on Tuesday night. Marlow took the lead early on via a Kelvin Bossman penalty before two Ben Farrell goals in two minutes put the Diamonds ahead at half time. Super sub Darryl Smith then came off the bench with ten minutes to go, scoring two goals in three minutes before defender Calam Gallimore pulled back a consolation for Marlow in injury time.

Andy Peaks made one change from Saturday’s goalless draw at home to Egham Town with Claudiu Hoban deputising behind Nabil Shariff, with Tom Lorraine dropping to the bench. New signing Cameron Gilchrist came in to the squad, replacing Fernando Bell-Toxtle.

An action packed first half began with a dangerous cross from Kameron English flashing dangerously across the face of goal after just two minutes. A few minutes later, Marcus Mealing will feel like he should have scored. The initial cross from Allen Bossman was punched awkwardly by Heath out to a Marlow player who squared the ball for Mealing to finish but he got under the ball and his effort went over.

Just two minutes later, however, Marlow were ahead. The referee penalised Luke Fairlamb for what looked like a soft foul, however initially the referee awarded a free kick. After speaking to his assistant, the decision was rightly changed as the infringement had occurred just inside the area. Striker Kelvin Bossman stepped up and tucked the penalty away into the bottom right corner; sending Heath the wrong way.

Diamonds almost responded immediately. A long ball from Sam Brown was headed down by Shariff to Farrell on the edge of the area but his scuffed shot flew high and right into the path of Gyasi who had to react quickly to tap an effort just over.

Diamonds did equalise moments later. Shariff found himself deeper than usual; sending Fairlamb darting down the left. The winger then crossed low which was cleared as far as Farrell who side footed a shot past Garnes in goal; taking a massive deflection on the way in.

Almost immediately after the first goal, Diamonds found themselves ahead. Full back Callum Westwood lofted a long cross into the box which at first looked like a simple catch for the keeper, but he made a hash of it, dropping the ball to the feet of Fairlamb who kept his nerve to square the ball to Farrell to easily tap in for his second of the game, and the season.

Claudiu Hoban tested the keeper at the near post on 24 minutes, and the resulting corner was cleared off the line by a defender. And it was déjà vu a minute later when Sam Brown launched his trademark long throw in to the box, meeting the head of Shariff whose looping header was going in if not for a desperate clearance off the line.

Marlow’s Dan Bailey found himself rather lucky after a Westwood clearance was closed down and blocked straight into his path in the box, but he rather rushed his shot, toe poking the ball wide.

A corner from the right from Marlow caused a few problems in the box, with the header coming down to Allen Bossman at the near post with his back to goal and Dolman behind him. The winger turned and shot twice, winning another corner for the hosts. The second corner missed the target men and hit another Marlow player and bounced harmlessly out for a goal kick.

A Westwood cross from the right flying millimetres above Shariff, a Fairlamb cross missing everyone, and a weak curling Allen Bossman effort straight into Heath’s arms saw the first half out with Diamonds in the lead.

Half time: Marlow 1-2 AFC Rushden & Diamonds

Immediately after the break, Shariff found himself in on goal, but under pressure from a defender he could only shoot into the keeper’s arms.

Marlow had a dangerous attack on 56 minutes, with Kelvin Bossman opening up the defence with a through ball to English in the area, but a well timed block from Blaize Punter snuffed out the danger.

Marlow captain Chris Ovenden received the first of two cautions in the game, going in hard on Fairlamb near the halfway line. The second booking came a minute later. Fairlamb’s cross was missed by the defence, falling for Gyasi in front of goal. Amid some desperate attempts to scramble the ball across the line by Gyasi, Shariff and Hoban, the ball eventually was eventually poked in but the referee pulled the play back for a foul by Shariff on the keeper, resulting in a booking for the striker and five minutes of treatment for Garnes.

Diamonds made all three of their changes in the final ten minutes, and substitute Darryl Smith made a stunning contribution to the game, scoring two goals after coming on with ten minutes remaining.

The first came on 85 minutes. Fairlamb arrowed a fantastic cross field pass to Smith who brought the ball forward to the edge of the area before smashing his shot across goal and in off the post. Three minutes later, Diamonds broke forward on a counter attack, with Smith again breaking forward, taking on his man before turning and firing under the keeper to make it four for the Diamonds.

Three minutes into the five minutes added time, Sam Brown made a stunning goal line clearance. Two Marlow substitutes combined for the attack, with Issac Osei-Tutu breaking into the box before cutting back to Jordace Holder-Spooner to curl an effort towards the top corner, but Brown, sprinting back managed to get his head around and nod the slightest touches on the ball to divert it onto the post and out for a corner.

The resulting corner was swung in from the right, and Gallimore rose above everyone to grab a consolation for Marlow in the final action of the game.

Full time: Marlow 2-4 AFC Rushden & Diamonds

Diamonds now look to another away trip to Hayes & Yeading United on Saturday afternoon looking to maintain an unbeaten away record and cement a place in the top 6.

Man of the match: Ben Farrell

Attendance: 136

Match Report by Adam Benney


AFC Rushden &   Diamonds

1.     Oneal Garnes

2.     Dan Bailey

3.     Jack Kerrigan

4.     Junaid Bell

5.     Calam Gallimore

6.     Chris Ovenden (c)

7.     Allen Bossman

8.     Jordan Brown

9.     Kelvin Bossman

10.   Marcus Mealing

11.   Kameron English



12.   Josh Francis

14.   Curtis Chapple

15.   Luke Farrugia

16.   Jordace Holder-Spooner (on for K. Bossman, 74)

17.   Isaac Osei-Tutu (on for A. Bossman, 80)

13.   Ben Heath

2.     Callum Westwood

3.     Sam Brown

4.     Blaize Punter

5.     Liam Dolman

6.     Ben Farrell

7.     Joel Gyasi

8.     Richard Bunting (c)

9.     Nabil Shariff

10.   Claudiu Hoban

11.   Luke Fairlamb



14.   Joe Curtis (on for Hoban, 80)

15.   Darryl Smith (on for Gyasi, 80)

16.   Cameron Gilchrist

18.   Ben Ford

19.   Tom Lorraine (on for Shariff, 89)


Goals:   K. Bossman (10), Gallimore (90+4)

Goals:   Farrell (18 & 20), Smith (85 & 88)

Yellow   cards: Ovenden (63)

Yellow   cards: Shariff (64)

Red   cards:

Red   cards:

Referee:        Mr Tom Ellsmore

Assistants:    Mr Ross Murphy

                     Mr Simon Maynard







Shots on   target



Shots off target












Yellow cards



Red   cards




Updated player profiles with appearance and goalscoring details are now available.

Video highlights and post-match interviews are available here.


Match Gallery courtesy of Stephanie Webb Photography Copyright Stephanie Webb Photography ©2017